Fall BLOG 2013by Lesley Francis on 11/19/13
The Female Influence
Some members’ clubs of varying types are still bastions of male influence with the wife being granted access rights only on the arm of her husband and some clubs even ban the female spouse from accompanying their husband to important member meetings……..
This is clearly NOT the case with Ariel South East Angel Partners (ASAP) where female investors (with or without husbands) are very welcome. It is true that we have a policy of allowing the spouse of a member full joint membership rights but this is a gender neutral policy. It is also true that three of our board of nine managers are female and that we actively welcome any member willing to take on responsibilities within the group and participate in deals, regardless of gender.
A report earlier this year by Jeffrey Sohl from the Center for Venture Research at the University of New Hampshire revealed some interesting insights into the role of female investors in the angel investment world today:
· The proportion of active women investors allocating funds doubled between 2011 and 2012 from 11percent to 22 percent
· Women-led angel groups like Golden Seeds and Seraph Capital are contributing to an increased number of women angel investors in the USA
· Women, in line with all angel investors in recent years are investing heavily in software, healthcare (including medical devices and equipment as well as healthcare services) and biotechnology,
· More women owned ventures are seeking angel capital than in previous years – up to 16 percent in 2012
· There are more women than men in universities right now which is contributing to these trends
· The report showed that when more than ten percent of the investors in an angel group are women, they increase the investment activity of the group
It will be interesting to see if next year’s report shows a further development of these trends.
However, whatever your gender, ASAP is an interesting and potentially rewarding, member based route to investment opportunities. If you would like to attend a meeting as our guest to find out more, please do not hesitate to contact us.